Sunday, April 27, 2014

Audre Lorde's teachers

        I have to say that I really enjoyed Lorde's essay. I found myself wanting to learn more about her life and experience in school although it didn't seem to me that it was very pleasant as "Lorde illustrates her first grade teacher at the catholic school and how stern she was by stating that "she ran the first grade with an iron hand in the shape of a cross". She them moves on to show her teachers feelings of the children stating that "caring for was not always caring about. And it always felt like Sister MPH hated either teaching or little children". Lorde then moves on further to illustrate  what I felt was a lack of confidence that her teacher had in her and an almost demeaning tone which is down right cruel when she placed her sentence paper on the chalk channel. "That was to much coming from a Brownie. Sister Mary of PH frowned. This was to be your own work children," she said. "Who helped you with your sentence, Audre?" she told her she had done it alone, and her teacher then went on to say, "Our guardian angels weep when we don't tell the truth, Audre. I want a note from your mother tomorrow telling me that you are sorry for lying to baby Jesus."
       I could easily go on to describe the many ways I feel that her style of teaching was wrong, but these were different times. I am just thankful that we have so many options these days and our children don't have to be belittled by their teachers.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment